Bryan L. PhippsShareholder
Attorney Bryan L. Phipps was born and raised in the Sacramento area, spending much of his childhood in El Dorado County. As an El Dorado Hills trust and estate litigation lawyer at Forethought Law, PC, Attorney Phipps is particularly skilled at finding innovative, creative solutions to very complex legal matters and family situations. He is also a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
Attorney Phipps earned his B.A. in American Studies from BYU Provo before going on to attend BYU Law School. He graduated with honors cum laude with his J.D before returning to the Sacramento area to begin his practice in trust and estate law. Before opening Forethought Law, PC, Attorney Phipps worked for many notable and well-respected attorneys in the trusts and estates field, learning and benefitting from their mentorship and experience.
Having worked at small firms and much larger, statewide firms in the past, Attorney Phipps has seen firsthand the benefits of both: the attentive, hands-on, relationship-driven experience a client receives from a smaller firm, as well as the assertive, innovative, top-shelf representation clients, receive from large, top-tier firms. When starting Forethought Law, PC, Attorney Phipps’ goal was to borrow the best from both models and create a boutique firm that truly offers a superior experience for the client.
The bulk of Attorney Phipps’ practice deals with contested trust and estate issues. He understands that, when a client walks into the office, he or she is likely dealing one of the most difficult experiences of his or her life, especially from a family dynamic standpoint. Attorney Phipps’ goal and purpose is to understand the outcome the client wants to achieve and then take their stress and anxiety onto his own shoulders while working towards achieving their unique desired results. The client provides information and context; Attorney Phipps provides peace of mind and results.
When he is not working, Attorney Phipps enjoys spending time with his wife and four sons. He also enjoys playing golf, scuba diving, cycling, and anything else that gets him out from behind his desk.
- Note, In re Williams Securities Litigation—WCG Subclass: How Dura Met Daubert, 2010 BYU L. REV. 215.
- Bryan L. Phipps, When Applying the 120-Day Statute of Limitations under Probate Code § 16061.8, When is a Trust Contest “Brought?”, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (October 4, 2013)
- Avoiding Acceleration: How to Put the Brakes on Due-on-Sale Clauses when Funding Your Revocable Living Trust with Encumbered Real Property, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (November 7, 2013)
- Celebrity Trusts & Estates: Casey Kasem Conservatorship Battle Highlights the Need for Clarity Regarding Control over Visitation, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (January 8, 2014)
- Celebrity Trusts & Estates: Another Battle in the Saga of Bing Crosby’s Right of Publicity Comes to an End, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (January 31, 2014)
- Celebrity Trusts & Estates: Paul Walker Leaves His $25 Million Estate to His Teenage Daughter, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (February 5, 2014)
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Regarding Inherited IRAs Highlights the Benefits of IRA Trusts, THE TRUSTS & ESTATES LAW BLOG (June 19, 2014)
- Bien-Venue: Commencing Breach of Trust Litigation in the Proper County (2016) volume 22, No. 2 Cal. Trusts and Estates Quarterly 17
- Brigham Young University: B.A. American Studies/United States Studies/Civilization, 2007
- Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School: J.D., cum laude, 2010
- Included in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2014 list
- Included in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2015 list
- Included in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2017 list
- State Bar of California
- The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization (Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law)
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Sacramento Estate Planning Council
- El Dorado County Bar Association (Board Member/Chair, Probate and Estate Planning Section)
- Board Member and Treasurer, El Dorado County Bar Association
- Chair, Trusts & Estates Section of the El Dorado County Bar Association
- Trustee, El Dorado County Law Library
- Trustee (2013 to 2017) and Chair of Planned Giving Committee (2015-2017), Marshall Foundation for Community Health
- Community Volunteer (2012 to 2017), CC&R Citizen Advisory Committee, El Dorado Hills Community Service District